Subject: Audio editing.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/27/2004 04:50:32
I was wondering if people have any preferred programs for audio
editing from pkgsrc (or otherwise free and running on UNIX-like
systems).

I've looked at several (see below) in pkgsrc.  All that I could
find have problems for my purposes.

What are my purposes?

I am volunteering with a local public radio show.  Audio tracks
will be provided, and I will help assemble them into a 30 minute
weekly radio show.  Though not just a long monologue, there are no
regular, guaranteed-short blocks, and some interviews have run
quite long prior to editing.

Since this is a volunteer show, they take on relatively inexperienced
people like myself.  I don't know exactly what I will need at this
point, but know that some tools won't work, and know that in the
studio they have a WIN32 commercial suite called "Vegas".

The biggest problem that I seem to be hitting with NetBSD is the
"data" limit.  Most programs load everything into memory and dump
core on huge files.

The software that I've looked at in pkgsrc (my first stop so far):

 * dap: Doesn't like large files and is prone to hanging.

 * sox: Has some promise as a command-line core, but does not seem
   practical for, e.g., finding and splicing out pauses by itself.

 * sweep: Loads everything into memory, so won't work for large files.

 * wavesurfer: I can ask it to keep data in files rather than
   in memory, but it still seems unstable.

 * xmix: Does not appear to be capable of what I require.

 * xmmix: "FIOASYNC ioctl failed: Invalid argument".
   Basically, will not run at present.  Probably like xmix.

--
  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." http://www.olib.org/~rkr/