Subject: Re: XDM
To: Rene Hexel <rh@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/26/2004 03:47:53
On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 06:54:06PM +1000, Rene Hexel wrote:
> On 25/09/2004, at 3:55 PM, Richard Rauch wrote:
>
> >It Just Works, of course, if she logs in via a text console and
> >types "startx".
>
>   Just a thought: xdm uses .xsession instead of .xinitrc -- maybe
> that's the problem?

Thanks.  It is was also necessary to comment out a line in the
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config file.  (There was no need to
modify Xaccess.)

>   If you don't have a .xsession file in your (mother's) home directory,
> create one that runs your .xinitrc:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec $HOME/.xinitrc

I found it necessary to put in a bit more, since the xterms started
from .xinitrc were launching shells without the corresponding
startup scripts.  So I needed to invoke the shell config scripts
to set paths and prompts.

(.xinitrc, being run from startx after a normal login, inherits
all of the suitable environment.  .xsession seems to have nothing
to inherit, since all that's happened is a bare login.)