Subject: Re: PPP
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/25/2004 08:40:53
> One of the problems I ran into was getting PPP to work.  I had
> some files that I had used in the past, but they did not work
> this evening.  After much struggling, I've temporarily given
> up.

That is because you don't 'login' that way - most use pap or chap
authentication.

You probably need:
/etc/ppp/peers/<isp>
dty01           # modem is connected to /dev/cua0
115200          # run the serial port at 38400 baud
crtscts         # use hardware flow control
noauth          # don't require the ISP to authenticate itself
defaultroute    # use the ISP as our default route
debug
user <username from ISP>
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-<isp>'

/etc/ppp/chat-<isp>
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "ERROR"
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
ABORT "BUSY"
ABORT "Username/Password Incorrect"
REPORT CONNECT
"" "at"
OK "at&d2&c1"
OK "atdt<phone number>"
CONNECT \c

Add the password to /etc/ppp/pap-sectrets or chap-secrets, probably as:
*	* password	*

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk