Subject: XDM
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/25/2004 00:55:13
I don't personally use XDM, however I have been setting up my
mother's system with NetBSD (see previous message).

One of the things that I'd like to be able to show is that it can
be set up like her Evil Empire box, so part of that is a graphical
login.  It's not stictly required, but I'd like to get it working.

The XDM login works, but when it tries to bring up her environment,
it fails and returns to the XDM login.

In /var/log/xdm.log, it says something about "Client 2" not working.
I don't remember the exact error message, but my impression is that
it has to do with authorization to connect to the X server.

It Just Works, of course, if she logs in via a text console and
types "startx".

Again, I never use xdm.  I seem to recall that there is something
very minor that needs to be done to make this work.

(All that has been done is to add "xdm=YES" to /etc/rc.conf.)

I seem to recall that a permission bit may need to be set somewhere,
or something similarly trivial.  I know that this has come up
before, but the mail archives are practically offline, at present
(mail-archive.netbsd.org sometimes responds to my web browser,
sometimes not---but even when it does, it does not seem to be
complete for some days and is cut off completely about 2 weeks back).