Subject: sup'ing several machines at the same time
To: None <NetBSD-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWorkXXIII.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/24/2004 22:49:03
Hi there,

since the number of my NetBSD machines is growing, I'm thinking about some
mechanism to save bandwidth and speed up the sup process. Currently, all
machines update the whole source tree including PkgSrc every day somewhere
in the morning via an entry in daily.local.

Obviously this is unneccessary traffic, and it consumes much time. What
I'd like to do is set up one system as a sup server. This machine could
still sup the sources off the daily.local script. After it has finished,
the other machines should update their local sources from the "master".

The two things I'm currently a bit clueless about are:
  - how to set up a sup server		and
  - how to "ring the bell" on the "slaves" once the "master" has finished
its own sup run.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee
--
thiesi@NetWork23.Sytes.NET ---- NetBSD: Power to the people!
Tel.: ++49-(0)171-416 05 09 -- Fax: ++49-(0)171-134 16 05 09