Subject: Re: pppd logfile problem
To: Domingo A. Siliceo <dsiliceo@sedcatala.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/23/2004 21:43:31
On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 12:11:29PM +0200, Domingo A. Siliceo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I record my pppd activity using the command line argument 'pppd logfile
> /var/log/pppd.lod', but the log file generated is useless to me because
> it does not record the date (including the time) the connection was
> started *and* closed.
>
> How can I achieve that? I guess I should use another method, but I
> don't know which one.

One option is to:

Add:
    CPPFLAGS+= -DLOG_PPP=LOG_LOCAL1
to pppd/Makefile and rebuild pppd.
Add:
    local1.info     /var/log/ppp
    local1.*        /dev/console
to /etc/sysconf.conf
Add:
    /var/log/ppp                            644  5    *    720  Z
to /etc/newsyslog.conf

Then write a script to parse the log file.

Unfortunately syslog won't put log info from different programs into different
log files.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk