Subject: Re: Connection to X server failed but X otherwise works
To: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/22/2004 16:34:54
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:

> I have a program, /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/dx aka OpenDX which used to
> work fine before I upgraded my CPU (from 700MHz Celeron to 3.2GHz P4)
> and motherboard (from Intel D815PERL to Intel D875PBZ). All other
> X functions work fine. I have rebuilt OpenDX but to no good effect.
>
> The error I get is...
>
> Connection to server baal failed - Error during initialization.
>
> ...this from OpenDX when it tries to display something in its own
> display window.
>
> Can XFree86 work for Firefox, GIMP, Sodipodi and everything else but
> fail in this one single way? It had used to work before I made the
> upgrade.

I don't know OpenDX. But I think the error message is referring to
OpenDX's server part and not your X11 server.

Make sure the server part is actually listening or running. Or make sure
it is configured to connect to correct host.

Have a look at the README and FAQs which mention that OpenDX may have
issues with memory limits. Maybe your OpenDX wants to use more memory than
you allow?

You may want to ask about it on the opendx-users list.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/