Subject: Re: Connection to X server failed but X otherwise works
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/22/2004 17:29:03

Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I don't know OpenDX. But I think the error message is referring to
> OpenDX's server part and not your X11 server.
>
> Make sure the server part is actually listening or running. Or make sure
> it is configured to connect to correct host.
>
> Have a look at the README and FAQs which mention that OpenDX may have
> issues with memory limits. Maybe your OpenDX wants to use more memory than
> you allow?
>
> You may want to ask about it on the opendx-users list.
>
>  Jeremy C. Reed

As I understand it, OpenDX connects to an existing X server and does
not have its own. I know that for Win32 the only way to run OpenDX is
to have Hummingbird Exceed. OpenDX is free on Unix/Linux but costs $210
for Win32 because it comes packaged with a license for Exceed.

I did ask on the opendx-users list and so far the only indications I
got were to do with my /etc/hosts and X on my box...except that I did
not change anything on my system...its the same old X...and the same
/etc/hosts file as when OpenDX had used to work fine before my upgrade.

But I think you're onto something about memory. OpenDX will request 7/8
of all available memory (I read that somewhere). I will look into
limiting what it asks for.

Coming at it from the other end...how can I increase what my system will
allow? Or even know what it will allow?

Gan Uesli Starling

--

  Mistera Sturno - Rarest Extinct Bird