Subject: Re: xmms and iMic on netbsd/i386
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/21/2004 00:01:55
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Keith Moore wrote:

> now if I manually set fea1-i12-master to some other pair of values, I can get
> xmms to play.  but I have to control the volume using mixerctl - xmms's
> volume control won't do it.

That's probably because xmms's "volume" control is controlling
the pcm/dac -- not the master. There's a setting for that in xmms'
preferences, under "output plugin". OSS has a single toggle, while the
superior native Sun driver let's you choose from any mixer control. My
preference, though, is to let xmms control the dac, and get something
else to control the master. I currently favor the
"audio/gkrellm-volume" package, which is a plugin to "gkrellm".
There's also a gkrellm plugin for "xmms" itself which you might
like to try, but I don't find it particularly useful (too tiny).

Frederick