Subject: Re: DVD movie woes
To: Tyler Mitchell <fission@styrophone.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/20/2004 13:27:37
In article <Pine.NEB.4.61.0409192059360.25823@nucleus.styrophone.net>,
	fission@styrophone.net (Tyler Mitchell) writes:

> I can play the warning screen of the DVD with mplayer, but not any of the
> actual movie titles/chapters.  When I try, the kernel complains:
>
>     cd0(viaide0:0:1): illegal request, data = 00 00 00 00 6f 03 00 00 00 00
>
> Apparently, "6f 03" is:
>
>     6F/03       R          READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION
>
> I'm not sure what to make of this, because it looks like libdvdcss is
> doing its job.  I was told that the DVD player is set to region 1 (which
> is the region where I live and rent movies).

The mplayer folks consider use of libdvdcss to be obsolete. The latest
tarball, which includes a patched libdvdcss, should probably build and
run out of the box on NetBSD 2.0 BETA.  The only patch you really need
is "patch-aa", or else set LDFLAGS to "-R/usr/local/lib -R/usr/X11R6/lib"
in the environment before running configure. If you want to play DivX(R)
files, too, you only have to tell configure where the codecs are, via
"--with-win32libdir", or "--with-codecsdir".

Frederick