Subject: Re: Newbie installation of NetBSD on HP Jornada 720 CF card (hpcarm
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: Sheree A Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/2004 20:14:59
Timo Schöler wrote:

>>> i guess you have a NIC in your PDA (AFAIK it has a PCMCIA slot), and
>>> i may assume the install kernel is aware of it and got it configured.
>>>
>>> so go the 'a: ftp' way and either fetch the sets located usually in
>>> /pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.2/hpcarm/binary/sets from ftp.netbsd.org (or
>>> your next ftp.CC.netbsd.org) or from a ftp server in your LAN, where
>>> you store these sets (you can also extract them from the iso image,
>>> btw).
>>>
>>> then the installer should ask you a few simple-to-answer questions
>>> on the network config you wish to use -- voila!
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>> Thanks for your reply!  Well, I do have a wireless pcmcia card for
>> it.  Previously, I had not inserted it during the install.  This
>> time, I inserted it prior to the install.  I noticed before the
>> initial "-Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: " prompt comes us
>> that this line appeared in the boot sequence: "Lucent Technologies,
>> WaveLAN/IEEE, Version 01.01 (manufacturer 0x0156, product 0x0002) at
>> pcmcia0, function 0 not configured"
>

> "not configured" means that there's no driver (in the kernel you use)
> to use this card. if possible, try a more 'generic' card, e.g. any old
> fiberline, smc or 3com PCMCIA card. AFAICS you'd need to build another
> kernel to support your card (supposing there's already a driver for
> it, i don't know but i think so ;)
>

>> I ran the install exactly as before.  Now, when I get to the ftp
>> choice, I get the message "I can not find any network interfaces for
>> use by NetBSD.  You will be returned to the previous menu."  What do
>> I need to do for it to recognize (and configure) my wireless card?
>

> see above.
>

>> Do I need to provide drivers?  How and at what point?  Is there a
>> configuration utility to run for a wireless card prior to starting
>> the sysinstall?
>

> i) yes, ii) in the kernel (or as a LKM (Loadable Kernel Module), but
> not for the issue of installing (as usually typical INSTALL kernels
> lack LKM support), iii) no; either it is "configured" correctly, then
> sysinstall will configure it like any other NIC, or it is "not
> configured" and you're lost...
>
> you could (as a workaround, if you don't have any other NIC
> accessable) create a partition scheme on your compact flash card, copy
> the files there and access them from there. i did so on an amiga
> installation...
>

>> Thank you so much for helping me with this!
>

> you're welcome! ;)

I have several wireless NICs, but all of them give the same "not
configured" message shown above.  The  NICs I have are:
- Orinoco Classic Gold PC Card 802.11b
- Lucent Technologies WaveLAN IEEE 802.11b Silver
- Agere Systems (Proxim) Gold PC Card 802.11b
- Netgear WG511 - 54Mbps
- Netgear  WG511T - 108Mbps
and I even have one wired card: Netgear FA511 32bit CardBus 10/100Mbps

I feel like I'm in a catch-22:  It sounds like I need to build a kernel
to get the wireless drivers included in the kernel, but since I don't
have an existing NetBSD install, and I can't get my network connection
to work, I can't even install NetBSD to begin with!!!

Is there is any way you can help me by giving me more detail about how
to go about your last suggestion: "create a partition scheme on your
compact flash card, copy the files there and access them from there. i
did so on an amiga installation... "??  I think might be my only option
at this point.  What kind of partition should it be & does it matter
which partition it is (0,1,2, etc)?  What are the commands to load the
drivers from the partition?  At what point in the install do I need to
run those commands?

Thank you again for your patience with all my questions.