Subject: Re: Newbie installation of NetBSD on HP Jornada 720 CF PART II
To: Sheree A Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/2004 10:27:08
>>> I'm trying to install netbsd on an HP Jornada 720 handheld.  I've
>>> been using the method described here:
>>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcarm/2003/01/07/0001.html
>>> I have the 3 files mentioned:
>>> JINSTALL.gz , hpcboot.cnf, hpcboot.exe
>>> I'm wanting to install to either a 256MB or a 512MB (whichever size
>>> is more appropriate) CompactFlash card.
>>> I've been working off of the NetBSD Guide document, specifically the
>>> example installation at:
>>> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-exinst.html
>>>
>>> Here's what I've done so far:
>>> -I've been trying to install it on a 256MB CF card & I've created a
>>> 5MB DOS partition as the first (and only) partition on the card to
>>> start.
>>> -I've copied the 3 files needed to this DOS partition (JINSTALL.gz ,
>>> hpcboot.cnf, hpcboot.exe)
>>> -I insert the CF card in the Jornada 720 & power it on.
>>> -I've been copying the 3 files then from the CF card into the "My
>>> Handheld PC", so that I can run them from there (instead of off the
>>> card, in case this is a problem)
>>> -Launch HPCBOOT.EXE
>>> Boot to netbsd sysinst:
>>> After boot:
>>> -Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: <enter>
>>> Then I see the familiar sysinst main screen:
>>> =========
>>> Welcome to sysinst, the NetBSD- system installation tool  This
>>> menu-driven
>>> tool is designed to help you install NetBSD to a hard disk, or
>>> upgrade an
>>> existing NetBSD system, with a minimum of work.  In the following
>>> menus, you
>>> may change the current selection by either typing the reference
>>> letter (a, b,
>>> c, ...).  Arrow keys may also work.  You activate the current
>>> selection from
>>> the menu by typing the enter key.
>>> If you booted from a floppy, you may now remove the disk.
>>> Thank you for using NetBSD!
>>> NetBSD- Install System
>>> a: Install NetBSD to hard disk **
>>> b: Upgrade NetBSD on a hard disk
>>> c: Re-install sets or install additional sets
>>> d: Reboot the computer
>>> e: Utility menu
>>> x: Exit Install System
>>> =========
>>>
>>> I make my way through the initial setup screens
>>> (partitioning/disklabels)  and I come to the next series of screens:
>>>
>>> =========
>>> The NetBSD distribution is broken into a collection of distribution
>>> sets.
>>> There are some basic sets that are needed by all installations and
>>> there are some other sets that are not needed by all installations.
>>> You may choose to
>>> install all of them (Full installation) or you select from the
>>> optional distribution sets.
>>> Select your distribution
>>> a: Full installation
>>> b: Custom installation **
>>> =========
> [...]

"not configured" means that there's no driver (in the kernel you use)
to use this card. if possible, try a more 'generic' card, e.g. any old
fiberline, smc or 3com PCMCIA card. AFAICS you'd need to build another
kernel to support your card (supposing there's already a driver for it,
i don't know but i think so ;)

-current (from today) says in the JORNADA720 kernel config:

----8<

# PCMCIA network interfaces
an*     at pcmcia? function ?           # Aironet PC4500/PC4800 (802.11)
awi*    at pcmcia? function ?           # BayStack 650/660 (802.11FH/DS)
cnw*    at pcmcia? function ?           # Xircom/Netwave AirSurfer
ep*     at pcmcia? function ?           # 3Com 3c589 and 3c562 Ethernet
mbe*    at pcmcia? function ?           # MB8696x based Ethernet
ne*     at pcmcia? function ?           # NE2000-compatible Ethernet
ray*    at pcmcia? function ?           # Raytheon Raylink (802.11)
#sm*    at pcmcia? function ?           # Megahertz Ethernet
wi*     at pcmcia? function ?           # Lucent WaveLan IEEE (802.11)
#xi*    at pcmcia? function ?           # Xircom CreditCard Ethernet

----8<

--
mit vorzueglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Schoeler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt