Subject: Re: Newbie installation of NetBSD on HP Jornada 720 CF card (hpcarm
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
From: Sheree A Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/17/2004 19:43:58
Timo Schöler wrote:

>> I'm trying to install netbsd on an HP Jornada 720 handheld.  I've
>> been using the method described here:
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcarm/2003/01/07/0001.html
>> I have the 3 files mentioned:
>> JINSTALL.gz , hpcboot.cnf, hpcboot.exe
>> I'm wanting to install to either a 256MB or a 512MB (whichever size
>> is more appropriate) CompactFlash card.
>> I've been working off of the NetBSD Guide document, specifically the
>> example installation at:
>> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-exinst.html
>>
>> Here's what I've done so far:
>> -I've been trying to install it on a 256MB CF card & I've created a
>> 5MB DOS partition as the first (and only) partition on the card to
>> start.
>> -I've copied the 3 files needed to this DOS partition (JINSTALL.gz ,
>> hpcboot.cnf, hpcboot.exe)
>> -I insert the CF card in the Jornada 720 & power it on.
>> -I've been copying the 3 files then from the CF card into the "My
>> Handheld PC", so that I can run them from there (instead of off the
>> card, in case this is a problem)
>> -Launch HPCBOOT.EXE
>> Boot to netbsd sysinst:
>> After boot:
>> -Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: <enter>
>> Then I see the familiar sysinst main screen:
>> =========
>> Welcome to sysinst, the NetBSD- system installation tool  This
>> menu-driven
>> tool is designed to help you install NetBSD to a hard disk, or
>> upgrade an
>> existing NetBSD system, with a minimum of work.  In the following
>> menus, you
>> may change the current selection by either typing the reference
>> letter (a, b,
>> c, ...).  Arrow keys may also work.  You activate the current
>> selection from
>> the menu by typing the enter key.
>> If you booted from a floppy, you may now remove the disk.
>> Thank you for using NetBSD!
>> NetBSD- Install System
>> a: Install NetBSD to hard disk **
>> b: Upgrade NetBSD on a hard disk
>> c: Re-install sets or install additional sets
>> d: Reboot the computer
>> e: Utility menu
>> x: Exit Install System
>> =========
>>
>> I make my way through the initial setup screens
>> (partitioning/disklabels)  and I come to the next series of screens:
>>
>> =========
>> The NetBSD distribution is broken into a collection of distribution
>> sets.
>> There are some basic sets that are needed by all installations and
>> there are some other sets that are not needed by all installations.
>> You may choose to
>> install all of them (Full installation) or you select from the
>> optional distribution sets.
>> Select your distribution
>> a: Full installation
>> b: Custom installation **
>> =========
> [...]
Thanks for your reply!  Well, I do have a wireless pcmcia card for it.
Previously, I had not inserted it during the install.  This time, I
inserted it prior to the install.  I noticed before the initial "-Enter
pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: " prompt comes us that this line
appeared in the boot sequence: "Lucent Technologies, WaveLAN/IEEE,
Version 01.01 (manufacturer 0x0156, product 0x0002) at pcmcia0, function
0 not configured"

I ran the install exactly as before.  Now, when I get to the ftp choice,
I get the message "I can not find any network interfaces for use by
NetBSD.  You will be returned to the previous menu."  What do I need to
do for it to recognize (and configure) my wireless card?

Do I need to provide drivers?  How and at what point?  Is there a
configuration utility to run for a wireless card prior to starting the
sysinstall?

Thank you so much for helping me with this!