Subject: Re: Newbie installation of NetBSD on HP Jornada 720 CF card (hpcarm port) -- Help Needed!!
To: Sheree A Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/17/2004 23:29:56
> I'm trying to install netbsd on an HP Jornada 720 handheld.  I've been
> using the method described here:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcarm/2003/01/07/0001.html
> I have the 3 files mentioned:
> JINSTALL.gz , hpcboot.cnf, hpcboot.exe
> I'm wanting to install to either a 256MB or a 512MB (whichever size is
> more appropriate) CompactFlash card.
> I've been working off of the NetBSD Guide document, specifically the
> example installation at:
> http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-exinst.html
>
> Here's what I've done so far:
> -I've been trying to install it on a 256MB CF card & I've created a
> 5MB DOS partition as the first (and only) partition on the card to
> start.
> -I've copied the 3 files needed to this DOS partition (JINSTALL.gz ,
> hpcboot.cnf, hpcboot.exe)
> -I insert the CF card in the Jornada 720 & power it on.
> -I've been copying the 3 files then from the CF card into the "My
> Handheld PC", so that I can run them from there (instead of off the
> card, in case this is a problem)
> -Launch HPCBOOT.EXE
> Boot to netbsd sysinst:
> After boot:
> -Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: <enter>
> Then I see the familiar sysinst main screen:
> =========
> Welcome to sysinst, the NetBSD- system installation tool  This
> menu-driven
> tool is designed to help you install NetBSD to a hard disk, or upgrade
> an
> existing NetBSD system, with a minimum of work.  In the following
> menus, you
> may change the current selection by either typing the reference letter
> (a, b,
> c, ...).  Arrow keys may also work.  You activate the current
> selection from
> the menu by typing the enter key.
> If you booted from a floppy, you may now remove the disk.
> Thank you for using NetBSD!
> NetBSD- Install System
> a: Install NetBSD to hard disk **
> b: Upgrade NetBSD on a hard disk
> c: Re-install sets or install additional sets
> d: Reboot the computer
> e: Utility menu
> x: Exit Install System
> =========
>
> I make my way through the initial setup screens
> (partitioning/disklabels)  and I come to the next series of screens:
>
> =========
> The NetBSD distribution is broken into a collection of distribution
> sets.
> There are some basic sets that are needed by all installations and
> there are some other sets that are not needed by all installations.
> You may choose to
> install all of them (Full installation) or you select from the
> optional distribution sets.
> Select your distribution
> a: Full installation
> b: Custom installation **
> =========
> [...]

i guess you have a NIC in your PDA (AFAIK it has a PCMCIA slot), and i
may assume the install kernel is aware of it and got it configured.

so go the 'a: ftp' way and either fetch the sets located usually in
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.2/hpcarm/binary/sets from ftp.netbsd.org (or
your next ftp.CC.netbsd.org) or from a ftp server in your LAN, where
you store these sets (you can also extract them from the iso image,
btw).

then the installer should ask you a few simple-to-answer questions on
the network config you wish to use -- voila!

HTH,

--
mit vorzueglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Schoeler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt