Subject: Newbie installation of NetBSD on HP Jornada 720 CF card (hpcarm port)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Sheree A Hemphill <sah18@sbcglobal.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/17/2004 16:34:05
I'm trying to install netbsd on an HP Jornada 720 handheld.  I've been
using the method described here:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcarm/2003/01/07/0001.html
I have the 3 files mentioned:
JINSTALL.gz , hpcboot.cnf, hpcboot.exe
I'm wanting to install to either a 256MB or a 512MB (whichever size is
more appropriate) CompactFlash card.
I've been working off of the NetBSD Guide document, specifically the
example installation at:
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-exinst.html

Here's what I've done so far:
-I've been trying to install it on a 256MB CF card & I've created a 5MB
DOS partition as the first (and only) partition on the card to start.
-I've copied the 3 files needed to this DOS partition (JINSTALL.gz ,
hpcboot.cnf, hpcboot.exe)
-I insert the CF card in the Jornada 720 & power it on.
-I've been copying the 3 files then from the CF card into the "My
Handheld PC", so that I can run them from there (instead of off the
card, in case this is a problem)
-Launch HPCBOOT.EXE
Boot to netbsd sysinst:
After boot:
-Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: <enter>
Then I see the familiar sysinst main screen:
=========
Welcome to sysinst, the NetBSD- system installation tool  This menu-driven
tool is designed to help you install NetBSD to a hard disk, or upgrade an
existing NetBSD system, with a minimum of work.  In the following menus,
you
may change the current selection by either typing the reference letter
(a, b,
c, ...).  Arrow keys may also work.  You activate the current selection from
the menu by typing the enter key.
If you booted from a floppy, you may now remove the disk.
Thank you for using NetBSD!
NetBSD- Install System
 a: Install NetBSD to hard disk **
 b: Upgrade NetBSD on a hard disk
 c: Re-install sets or install additional sets
 d: Reboot the computer
 e: Utility menu
 x: Exit Install System
=========

I make my way through the initial setup screens
(partitioning/disklabels)  and I come to the next series of screens:

=========
The NetBSD distribution is broken into a collection of distribution sets.
There are some basic sets that are needed by all installations and there
are some other sets that are not needed by all installations.  You may
choose to
install all of them (Full installation) or you select from the optional
distribution sets.
Select your distribution
 a: Full installation
 b: Custom installation **
=========
The following is the list of distribution sets that will be used.
Distribution set   Use?
------------------ ----
Base         :     Yes
System (/etc):     Yes
Compiler     :     Yes
Games        :     Yes
Manuals      :     Yes
Miscellaneous:     Yes
Text tools   :     Yes
X11 clients  :     Yes
X11 fonts    :     Yes
X11 contrib  :     Yes
X programming:     Yes
X11 Misc.    :     Yes
=========
During the extraction process, do you want to see the file names as each
file
is extracted?
yes or no?
 a: No
 b: Yes **
=========
Your disk is now ready for installing the kernel and the distribution sets.
As noted in your INSTALL notes, you have several options.  For ftp or nfs,
you must be connected to a network with access to the proper machines.  If
you are not ready to complete the installation at this time, you may select
"none" and you will be returned to the main menu to complete the
installation.
Select medium
 a: ftp
 b: nfs
 c: cdrom
 d: floppy
 e: unmounted fs
 f: local dir
 g: none
=========

THIS IS WHERE I AM LOST!  I have no idea which option to choose, or
where these distribution sets are located relative to my install on the
Jornada.  Do I need a network connection?  Would they already be part of
what is on my CF card at this point?  I just have no idea.  If  I need a
network connection, how can I set this up, since I'm in the middle of
the install (I have a wireless card or I could use the modem, if that
would be better).

This is my FIRST time installing NetBSD on any platform - not just the
Jornada.  Please help!!!!

Thanks so much!
-sheree