Subject: Re: 2.0_BETA macppc and Perl 5.8 from pkgsrc
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org,>
From: Lasse =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lhp+news@toft-hp.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/13/2004 22:45:01
Sorry for not replying sooner, but my poor, slow iMac (DV SE, 400MHz)
has been very busy until now! :-)

In article <820DD253-04A4-11D9-A0BD-0005024D4123@macfinity.net>,
 timo.schoeler@macfinity.net (Timo Schöler) wrote:

> however, as a quick'n'dirty workaround i fetched the binary packages
> (although it's still 5.8.1nb_something) and installed it via pkg_add --
> at least this resolves my dependencies.

Instead of following your suggestion (is installing a 1.6.2 binary
package on 2.0 safe?) I remembered seeing the build take place twice,
and apparantly working right the first time. I noticed the presence of a
"static" directory in the work directory, so I looked in the Makefile
and ensured STATIC_PERL was never set to yes. Rebuilding without
building a static Perl resulted in a proper package. As the Makefile
states, the benefits of having a static perl are doubtable, so I really
don't understand why it's the default, as it also appears to take twice
as long, as it's doing the complete configure-make cycle all over again.

Anyway, having done so, everything worked fine, except for a few things.

> ps: have some weird messages & failing in graphics/tiff -- did you run
> into this too (no err messages handy, sorry)?

This package was built without any trouble, it would seem.

I did notice a problem with Mozilla 1.7.2 freezing or crashing
inexplicably, with an error about "trying to free a free chunk" or
something like it. A hunch caused me to move my .mozilla directory and
let it make a new one - this apparantly helped a lot. The i386 Mozilla
behaved the same btw, so I guess it's just a matter of newer Mozillas
not dealing properly with preferences from older ones.

The only problem I believe I have right now, after installing about 220
packages, is that xfce4-panel crashes.

BTW, do you - or anybody else - know if it's safe to share .mozilla
between Mac OS X Mozilla and NetBSD Mozilla? (I have been sharing it
between NetBSD-i386 and NetBSD-macppc for some time without problems -
not that I would have expected any.)

-Lasse