Subject: libusb names for USB devices
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: None <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/2004 22:18:52
After reading the code in bsd.c from libusb, I am a bit confused about
the naming conventions for USB devices.  That code tries to open files
like /dev/%s.00 with %s replaced by the udi_devnames field returned by
the USB_DEVICEINFO ioctl.  Depending on what is returned by the kernel
for ugen (I don't have one installed just now), this might work in
that instance.  However, I see no other USB device files that match
this pattern, and would expect libusb to fail for any other type of
device.  (I'm having problems with it not detecting any devices, so I
suspect this is the problem.)

Should the libusb code be trying to open a file both with and without
the .00 suffix?  Should it always believe the value given in
udi_devnames?  Should ugen be handled differently than other USB
devices?  Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook