Subject: System compromised?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Wyman <wysoft@broncoii.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/11/2004 03:12:48
I logged into my 1.6.2 system today, and noticed a couple things that I thought
were too strange to be coincidence. First of all, in the ftpd xferlog, there are
at 89 instances of this activity, which was obviously some sort of connection
flood. All 89 connections occured consecutively in a 3 minute period from an
unknown host:

Sep 10 08:08:33 extremecode ftpd[14602]: FTP LOGIN FAILED FROM
OL253-182.fibertel.com.ar
Sep 10 08:08:34 extremecode ftpd[14603]: connection from
OL253-182.fibertel.com.ar to extremecode.org

At about the same time, the system was rebooted, reportedly from the console,
according to 'last'. I did not reboot the system, and nobody else has the power
to do so. The only other users on my system have access only to chrooted ftp
accounts, nothing more. The users are also trustworthy.

reboot    ~                         Fri Sep 10 08:13

Is the wtmp database updated with a "reboot" event when the system is going
down, or when it is coming up?

I was running the default ftpd without the -r option (oops) for a brief period
of time, as one user had problems accessing an account with that option enabled.
Is it possible that the system is compromised?  Unfortunately I had no IDS
installed, so besides this strange behavior, I have no way of knowing if
anything on the system has changed.

Thanks,

-Jeff Wyman