Subject: Re: netbsd with backsups : doesn't detect anything when serial link is cut
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Gilbert Fernandes <gilbertf@netbsd-fr.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/09/2004 14:08:15
On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:19:39PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> I don't know how the backups works, but maybe it reports the info
> though one of the control signal of the serial port.
> I would try without the local flag.

already tried both. i tried with the default
/etc/ttys setting and then edited it to replace
the 'secure' by local and use ttyflags -a

when using apctest everything is ok. test 1
finds the cable, test 2 finds out when the
serial cable is unplugged. all is ok.

config is as following :
(/usr/pkg/etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf)

## apcupsd.conf v1.1 ##
UPSCABLE simple
UPSTYPE backups
DEVICE /dev/tty00
LOCKFILE /var/spool/lock
BATTERYLEVEL 5
MINUTES 3
TIMEOUT 0
ANNOY 300
ANNOYDELAY 60
NOLOGIN disable
NETSERVER off
SERVERPORT 7000
EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
STATTIME 0
STATFILE /var/run/apcupsd.status
LOGSTATS off
DATATIME 0
UPSCLASS standalone
UPSMODE disable
NETACCESS false
NETTIME 10
NETPORT 6666

copied /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/apcupsd to my
/etc/rc.d/ and set upcapsd=YES in my rc.conf

tried variating the cable type but
everything but simple fails the find
cable detection test 1 while using
apctest.

going to drop in bios in machine to find
out which settings are active on com0 and
com1 ports (tried both too) but as those
are running default settings i dont know
if this will help.

while we do know from your experience
that smartups do work, do we have someone
with a backups around working ? :)

--
Gilbert Fernandes