Subject: updating packages, and creating security issues
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: admin@datazap.net <admin@datazap.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/07/2004 09:46:44
Hi,

I tried to update some packages, and when I did it uninstalled openssl and
openssh. I usually don't use telnet, but I uncommented in inetd, because I
was affraid that I would loss contact with my box. I am just wondering if
this is someones attempt to compromise the server.

------snip--------

Sep  4 20:21:08 agnus telnetd[19081]: ttloop:  peer died: No such file or
directory
Sep  4 20:45:41 agnus telnetd[21641]: ttloop:  peer died: No such file or
directory
Sep  4 21:27:10 agnus telnetd[26897]: ttloop:  peer died: No such file or
directory

The package that I was tring to update needs openssl, but it also
uninstalled, openssh, wget, and I am not sure what else. When I rebuilt
wget it would not work (ld.so error). So, I rebuilt it without ssl
support. Is there anything that can be done to prevent unrelated packages
from being uninstalled when updating? (this is the first time that I have
had this happen.)

Thanks,
Al