Subject: Re: upgrading memory - various issues
To: Ja'far Railton <zen25058@zen.co.uk>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/04/2004 13:21:12
> Hi all
>
> I need some help pleasei - need to get a PC ready to travel very soon
> so that's why I'm asking this here.
>
> 1. Bought new memory card, PC won't boot, advised to upgrade bios.
> 2. Downloaded the req'd .zip file on another PC running NetBSD.
> Unzipped it - got a .bin file.
> 3. Assuming I can cp this (the .zip) to a floppy what do I do with
> this file if I can copy it to the other machine.
>
> TIA
>
> Ja'far
> NetBSD 2.0_BETA i386

ad 2) it seems that you only have the file which contains the new
firmware/bios; watch out for a *utility* that 'uploads' this file onto
the hardware. (AFAIR the pc people use mainly DOS-based tools for this
-- i'm a maccie ;)

ad 3) you want to have a DOS boot disk (kind of) handy and copy both
the (.bin) file *and* the (to get) utility onto this disk. boot from it
and run the utility.

--
mit vorzueglichster Hochachtung/best regards,

Timo Schoeler
//macfinity -- finest IT services | Triftstrasse 39 | 13353 Berlin |
Germany
Fon ++49 30 25 20 30 20 | Fax ++49 30 25 20 30 19
PGP data http://www.macfinity.net/~tis/contact/PGPPKB_timo.schoeler.txt