Subject: Re: groff -mdoc question.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/30/2004 20:50:55
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Richard Rauch wrote:

> What I want to do is take a bunch of files, originally intended to
> be separate man-pages for "groff -mdoc ..." and I want to print them
> as one batch.  (The OpenGL reference manual published by
> Addison-Weseley is an example of what I'm aiming for, here.)

I am also trying to work on some similar projects. Thanks for mentioning
the "reference manual" example. It is a good example of what I am trying
to do.

> If I "naively" pass all of the files into groff via a wildcard, the
> pages are printed as one document (this is good) but they are
> "crammed" tightly, rather than having every new entry start a
> new page (this is not so good).

Did you ever get an answer on how to do this?

What I am doing is using groff with HTML output, then tidy to cleanup the
HTML and then html2latex (in pkgsrc-wip) to convert to latex. And finally
tex2lyx (from development version of lyx from their cvs). This has been
done manually but I plan to script some of it so I can make sure sections
are added correctly (before tex2lyx step) and to merge the documents
together.

Also, pkgsrc has doclifter which is a tool for converting man pages to
docbook format. Maybe that would be useful for putting the documents in a
format that can maybe easier worked with.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/