Subject: Re: Segmentation fault on convert (ImageMagick)
To: Gan Uesli Starling <alias@starling.us>
From: admin@datazap.net <admin@datazap.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/29/2004 15:39:42
Hi,

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:
> I get this...
>
> baal: {6} convert cloudwater.miff cloudwater.mpeg
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> baal: (7)

I have downloaded the pkgsrc from 1.4.3 to current from ftp.netbsd.org,
and built them. None of which work. I always get an error when I try to
run convert (I guess that some of the libraries are not linked properly).
I have not been able to find solution to this problem.

> The *.miff file is output from OpenDX from package dx
> ImageMagick's display can show both the *.miff and the
> *.ras. But I'd rather have mpeg and the OpenDX tutorial
> specifically suggests using ImageMagick to convert *.miff
> to *.mpeg.
>
> So my question is... Is this a bug in ImageMagick's convert
> function or in NetBSD's implementation or in my package? Does
> it work for somebody else on NetBSD or some other OS?

I have a powerbook running linux, and on it ImageMagick's convert works
fine. It is much faster than Netpbm at reducing images, but I have never
tried to convert the file formats that your are using.

Maybe you would know of a package that can resize an image to a standard
size (like netpbm), and is fast like ImageMagick's convert.

Thanks,
Al