Subject: Re: Network strange behaviour
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: roberto <roberto@redix.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/27/2004 10:28:02
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:27:42PM +0200, roberto wrote:
>> date: 26 august 2004
>>
>> (I've already posted this on tech-net but with no answer: maybe it was
>> not
>> the correct place ...)
>>
>> In the process of testing the speed of PPTP VPN on NetBSD, FreeBSD,
>> Linux,
>> after several tests I've discovered a strange behaviour on NetBSD 162:
>>
>> Here is the configuration:
>>
>>    (XP Pro) Client VPN  <--- 100Mbit ----> Server VPN (NetBSD 162+
>> poptop-1.1.3)
>>
>> Test:
>>    1- trying to download with FTP a file (through the VPN) the speed is
>> about 80-100KByte/sec
>>    2- trying to upload with FTP a file (through the VPN) the speed is
>> about 350-400KByte/sec
>>
>> On the other server the bandwidth about 1,5 Mbit or more. I changed
>> several time the config, and even I've tested on NetBSD 2.0
>> (200408130000)
>> but with the same result.
>>
>> I cannot figure out why the transfer rate is so slow :(
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> What speed do you get if you don't get though the VPN ?
> While you're downloading, can you run 'top' and see if the CPU usage is
> high ?

For example on a 100Mbit ethernet, an ftp download without PPTP VPN shows:
  150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'netbsd' (4024681 bytes).
  226 Transfer complete.
  ftp: 4024681 bytes received in 0,78secondi 5153,24Kbyte/sec)

but with PPTP VPN:
 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'netbsd' (4024681 bytes).
 226 Transfer complete.
 ftp: 4024681 bytes received in 49,88secondi 80,68Kbyte/sec)

And about the TOP, it shows no load: the CPU is 95-100% idle

Actually I discovered the problem a couple of months ago: I tested kernel
162 (recompiled without support for GRE) and I made several test changing
the configuration but with no result. At beginning I was thinking about
pppd speed option (default se to 115200) but even increasing it, the VPN
transfer rate doesn't change.
I've tested the VPN with MPPE module (the VPN encryption, only on kernel
162); and without MPPE seems do not change the result.

This month (with a little free time) I tested the same configuration on
NetBSD20 200408130000 (no recompile needed): the speed is the same.

I've tested the VPN on freebsd with the same client configuration and
almost the same server configuration and the speed (on 100Mbit LAN) is
much better; for example on FreeBSD4.10:
  150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'kernel' (4343925 bytes).
  226 Transfer complete.
  ftp: 4343925 bytes received in 2,21secondi 1962,91Kbyte/sec)

I'm available to make any required test.
Any suggestion are welcome.

Regards,
Roberto Trovo'