Subject: Network strange behaviour
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: roberto <roberto@redix.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/26/2004 23:27:42
date: 26 august 2004

(I've already posted this on tech-net but with no answer: maybe it was not
the correct place ...)

In the process of testing the speed of PPTP VPN on NetBSD, FreeBSD, Linux,
after several tests I've discovered a strange behaviour on NetBSD 162:

Here is the configuration:

   (XP Pro) Client VPN  <--- 100Mbit ----> Server VPN (NetBSD 162+
poptop-1.1.3)

Test:
   1- trying to download with FTP a file (through the VPN) the speed is
about 80-100KByte/sec
   2- trying to upload with FTP a file (through the VPN) the speed is
about 350-400KByte/sec

On the other server the bandwidth about 1,5 Mbit or more. I changed
several time the config, and even I've tested on NetBSD 2.0 (200408130000)
but with the same result.

I cannot figure out why the transfer rate is so slow :(

Any ideas?

Regards,
Roberto