Subject: Re: Problem with filesystem?
To: Adrian Mrva <adrianm@host.sk>
From: Joel Rees <joel_rees@sannet.ne.jp>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/21/2004 18:47:06
>> Or perhaps if you installed 98 on the 2nd disk, but the 1st disk is
>> the
>> boot target, and Windows felt obligated to write a new MBR to the 1st
>> disk so that the boot process points the 2nd disk.
>
> Yes. This is the case.

Let's have a big THANK YOU for Bill.

>> Either way, an old copy of your fdisk(8) and disklabel(8) output from
>> system backup could probably help you out.
>
> Well, I was stupid enough not to backup the system. But is there any
> way how can I access the data I have there?

If I were in this situation, I think I would partition the disk as a
single partition at both levels, but _not_ format, then go hunting for
the data I could least afford to lose. That would likely involve wiping
MSW98 so I could boot netbsd on the other drive. (Darn. Maybe I'd even
forget to put MSW98 back on.)

I would likely spend some time hunting for the disklabel before I
started just looking for pieces of files. I think there are some tools
that help with this sort of thing, hexdump, of course, but other tools
that might help finding lost disklabels.

I've never done this with NetBSD or anything larger than 20 MB, so
there may be something funny in my dogfood.

--
Joel Rees
     It's not the "Here's a button, click it!" attitude,