Subject: groff -mdoc question.
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/18/2004 10:59:02
Since I gather that NetBSD maintains its own branch of this stuff
(and since the NetBSD community is generally helpful and clueful),
I'm asking here.

It seems that I've found a way to do the following, before, but I
do not now see how to do it.

What I want to do is take a bunch of files, originally intended to
be separate man-pages for "groff -mdoc ..." and I want to print them
as one batch.  (The OpenGL reference manual published by
Addison-Weseley is an example of what I'm aiming for, here.)

If I use groff on each mdoc file separately, the output pages all
start their numbering at page 1.

If I "naively" pass all of the files into groff via a wildcard, the
pages are printed as one document (this is good) but they are
"crammed" tightly, rather than having every new entry start a
new page (this is not so good).

If I add a .bp troff command, I do not quite get what I want.
Depending on where I put the .bp, I can get a leading or a
trailing blank page for the whole document (this is not so great,
but with over 140 pages, it is tolerable).  But regardless of where
the .bp command goes, the page headers end up appearing one page too
late.  That is:

  The header for entry A appears on the first page for entry B.
  The header for entry B appears on the first page for entry C.

...and that is rather undesirable.

Is this supposed to "just work", or is there a special string that
I need to pull?  Or is this simply not well-supported?

Thanks in advance.