Subject: Re: kernel config w/ adjustkernel
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Simas Mockevicius <symka@netbsd.vejas.lt>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/11/2004 13:55:59
--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:43:47AM +1000, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 01:21:30AM +0100, Ja'far Railton wrote:
> |This has been solved thanks to Simas who tweaked the kernel config
> |produced by adjustkernel a little bit extra. Still wish I knew why the
> |adjustkernel config doesn't work "out of the box" but nevermind...
>=20
> ... which is a pity, since I hadn't heard of adjustkernel before and
> would like to use it but am not sure whether to trust it. What was the
> root cause of the problem? Was adjustkernel fixed?

Well, You can use it, and in most cases it works well. While with -current
and 2_0_BETA not so perfectly ;) it is because, adjustkernel script (yes, it
as small script) can;t find some devices, which by default not in GENERIC
kernel config, for example, sometimes there are something like:

atabus* at ata?=20

in the GENERIC kernel, but Yours HW configuration have:

atabus* at piixide?

so adjustkernel script cant find that match and drops down those "unknown"
options at the end of the configured kernel config, you just need to uncome=
nt,
and find dependencies. Yes, it sounds very ugly, but it is so. In my case,
i do adjusternel to drop unnneded options and then with my magic finger
commenct/uncoment anything else I need/dont need.

Good luck!

Sincerely,
Simas Mockevicius.

--KFztAG8eRSV9hGtP