Subject: Mount remote fs using ssh
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen Nelson <st3phen@paradise.net.nz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/05/2004 13:07:26
--------------020702090608090802000901

I have come across an interesting problem that I can't seem to solve:

I use NetBSD at home and at university, and I would like to be able to
mount a directory on my home computer on the machine I use at university.
I don't want to make my home machine vulnerable to attack, so I would
prefer to forward the share using ssh port forwarding.

Both nfs and samba seem to support this, as they can both be bound to a
port - however, I can't mount either system at university as neither
mount_* binarys take port arguments, and as I'm not root I can't forward
to the default ports, or change any default settings on the university
machines. It seems strange that this should not be possible - have I
missed something?

Thanks for your help,

Stephen Nelson

--------------020702090608090802000901

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<title></title>
interesting problem that I can't seem to solve:<br>
I use NetBSD at home and at university, and I would like to be able to
mount a directory on my home computer on the machine I use at
university.<br>
I don't want to make my home machine vulnerable to attack, so I would
prefer to forward the share using ssh port forwarding.<br>
Both nfs and samba seem to support this, as they can both be bound to a
port - however, I can't mount either system at university as neither
mount_* binarys take port arguments, and as I'm not root I can't
forward to the default ports, or change any default settings on the
university machines. It seems strange that this should not be possible
- have I missed something?<br>
Thanks for your help,<br>
Stephen Nelson</big><br>

--------------020702090608090802000901--