Subject: Re: Installing Ruby 1.8?
To: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.af>
From: Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/30/2004 11:55:02
* Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.af> [0650 04:50]:
> Hello,
>
> I need to install a program (Zonecheck, http://www.zonecheck.fr/)
> which depends on Ruby >= 1.8.
>
> In /usr/pkgsrc/lang/ruby (cvsed today), I find a package which seems
> only for Ruby 1.6. I find no way to install 1.8 instead.
>
> Is there a solution with packages or should I configure && make &&
> sudo make install ?

Not at the moment, no. Last nights CVS ruby built cleanly though, you
can even use --enable-pthread on configure if you like.

I spoke to taca a while ago about pushing packages to 1.8, his feeling
was that 1.8 was still a little unproven, and there may have been
platform-specific issues.

Might be a candidate for pkgsrc-wip? I've been meaning to do it myself,
but I cant' think of a clean way to handle obsolete packages in 1.6..

--
That boy's about as sharp as a pound of wet liver.
		-- Foghorn Leghorn