Subject: How to test modem?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Asterius Pandoras <asterius@airpost.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/14/2004 02:23:19
First of all I'd like to say thanks to all who walked me through
mounting the floppy under NetBSD formated under Linux with ext2
filesystem. I have accomplished this. The problem was that I have
specified wrong drive ( fd0c instead of fd0a) and that I have tried
to mount it with a wrong flag ( -t ext2 instead of -t ext2fs). Now I
have
copied ltmodem driver FreeBSD port into my NetBSD box ( NetBSD doesn't
have it last time I checked). Ok, so I ran pkg_add ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz and
got the following ( just from my memory):
mtree: unknown user 'man'
mtree: error on line 3*
mtree: non-zero request return, continueing and then I got nice FreeBSD
banner saying that it is precompiled binary port and if I update my
kernel sources I have to reinstall the package. I tried ( just for fun
of it) to run pkg_add ltmodem, but the system says that the package
already
installed. So, at least to me, it seems that I have a chance to make it
work. Question: How do I test/probe my modem to know that it is
operational before I'll take a plunge into pppd thing? I'd prefer not to
use any third party tools; I did just
basic install from 1st 1.6.2 CD. However, if I have no choice, just tell
me what package I need and I copy it into the box. Thanks very much.

Astrerius.