Subject: AW: Apache/1.6.2 problem
To: None <ngilbert@acm.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org, alias@starling.us>
From: None <stefan@net-tex.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/13/2004 00:15:59
> Nathan Gilbert wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I am running 1.6.2 and I am trying to get Apache 2.0.49nb1 up and
running. The
> > pkgs installed perfectly and I believe I have the config files in the
right
> > places.
> >
> > The problem is that whenever I try to start Apache no errors are
given,
> > meaning it appears everything has started fine, but I can't acces the
default
> > website. The connection is always refused.
> >
> > When I use apachectl stop, I am given; 'httpd (no pid file found) not

> > running'.
> >
> > Any insights to the problem?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > NG
>
> I am running same as you. So maybe my poor insight can
> help. Just maybe...
>
> See if it is really running from the console like this...
>
> <snip>
> baal:  ps -xa | grep httpd
..
> </snip>

"pgrep httpd" does the same :-)

I encoutered that problem several times with apache 1.2* and found that
ap-perl (aka mod_perl) was causing that trouble. Without ap_perl enabled
in httpd.conf everything started fine, with it I got exactly the same
problem.
The current ap_perl from pkgsrc (1.31) prevents Apache from startup, after
downgrading to the 1.29 binary, everything works fine. So may be you
should disable apache mods and try to locate if anyone of them is causing
that trouble.