Subject: Re: pkg_chk -u problem
To: Ja'far Railton <zen25058@zen.co.uk>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/10/2004 16:50:29
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:15:01 +0100
"Ja'far Railton" <zen25058@zen.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi folks I had spamassassin installed and working ok. Now it seems to
> have completely disappeared from my system. I have recently done a
> pkg_chk -u and wonder if anyone else has installed packages unexpectedly
> disappear after such an update. Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Ja'far
> 1.6.2 i386 current

yes, this is normal if spamassassin was obsolete, but could not be rebuilt
for some reason. IF you didn't use the -k option, it could also be the case
that pkg_chk aborted part way through the update.

A quick search of the mail lists will reveal many
suggestions about how to best use pkg_chk.

I build everything in a chroot jail or on another system, use pkg_chk -i -r
to remove installed obsolete files, and then use pkg_chk -a -b to reinstall
the binary packages I made elsewhere. This way I go into the process knowing
that everything is ready beforehand.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing