Subject: Can't login as a normal user under NetBSD-2.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: Bogdan Mihalcea <bmihal@rdslink.ro>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/09/2004 16:16:39
I have installed NetBSD-2.0 both at office and home. At office I have a
permanent LAN connection while at home I use a dial-up connection. I had
no problem whatsoever configuring and running NetBSD-2.0 at office.  I
have a problem on my home computer, which I realized it's caused by the
fact that I do not have a permanent LAN connection. My mainboard is
based on the nVIDIA Ultra2 chipset (which includes the LAN chipset, not
seen by the NetBSD-2.0 kernel).
I have installed the system, but after detecting all the hardware I get

 > Setting tty flags.
chmod : /dev/ttyp0   Read-only file system
.
.
.
chmod : /dev/ttypz   Read-only file system

After booting for the first time I was able to create and login as a
normal user, then su to root. After booting for the second, third time
and so on, I can only login as root. While trying to login as a normal
user I get:

 > login:
 > Password:

NO LOGINS : System going down at 17:55 (let's say)

Can you please give me a hint and help me overcome this problem?
Thank you very much,

Bogdan