Subject: diskless and dhclient == nfs failures?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/06/2004 09:19:13
Hi all,

I resurrected an old diskless environment to do some testing.  I've
hit what might be a known problem: when I run dhclient, it appears
to take down the existing network configuration, thus breaking NFS:

    Configuring network interfaces:.
    Starting dhclient.
    Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.1rc11
    Copyright 1995-2002 Internet Software Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

    nfs send error 49 for 203.8.3.33:/wd1f

#define	EADDRNOTAVAIL	49		/* Can't assign requested address */

Server: NetBSD-1.6.2/i386
Client: NetBSD-2.0_BETA/i386 with GENERIC_LAPTOP
        (same behaviour is seen with a 1.6.2 GENERIC_LAPTOP client)

The client boots using PXE.  DHCP and NFS both run on the same server.

A couple of years back Bill Studenmund reported that 1.5Y broke
diskless+dhclient for him:

    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2001/11/27/0004.html
    http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-net/2001/11/28/0006.html

Is there some configuration tweak to fix this?  Obviously I can work
around it by not using dhclient if I have to.

If there isn't a way to configure this right now so that dhclient
and diskless play nicely together, is the current behaviour a defect
in the kernel or in dhclient?  How do other operating systems using
the ISC dhclient handle this, does anyone know?

Regards,

Giles