Subject: Re: EPIA N, EPIA MII and EPIA CL boards
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Pierre-Philipp Braun <ppwb@club-internet.fr>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/04/2004 19:52:25
at last, i get a response on netbsd-help, seems like xfree may work on
M10000 hence MII and CL i guess.

Quoting Pierre-Philipp Braun, 19:16 +0200 Fri 4th Jun 2004,
> Quoting Pierre-Philipp Braun, 19:10 +0200 Fri 4th Jun 2004,
>> The board below uses S3 Unichrome,
>> 	. VIA EPIA N (-Integrated S3 Graphics UniChrome? Pro IGP graphics
>> with MPEG-2 decoder/MPEG-4 acceleration)
>> http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia_N_spec.jsp?motherboardId=221
>
> quoting,
> VIA CN400 digital media chipset

good point: mini-itx is going to sell integrated boxes, ready to use, we
only need to insall NetBSD and NetHENCE patch release. that box is named
nanode. nice photos on http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=19
bad point: Xfree may not work with netbsd

>> The two boards below seem to use a ProSavage video chipset.
>> 	. VIA EPIA MII (- Integrated VIA Unichrome? 2D/3D graphics with
>> MPEG-2 Accelerator, motion compensation and duo-view support)
>> http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_MII_spec.jsp?motherboardId=202
>
> quoting,
> Enhanced multimedia performance is further delivered through the VIA CLE266
> chipset featuring integrated VIA UniChrome? 2D/3D graphics and an MPEG-2
> accelerator with motion compensation

good point: CF card reader usable with photo cameras
bad point: we need to buy the other stuff separately, SDRAM, CD reader, HD
and barebone (http://www.mini-itx.com/store/default.asp?c=3#eotonashi for
example).

>> 	. VIA EPIA CL (- Integrated VIA Unichrome 2D/3D graphics with MPEG-2
>> Accelerator, featuring motion compensation and duo-view support)
>> http://www.viavpsd.com/product/epia_cl_spec.jsp?motherboardId=181
>
> quoting,
> The mainboard is based on the VIA CLE266 chipset featuring an embedded
> hardware MPEG-2 Accelerator and integrated VIA UniChrome?2D/3D graphics for
> rich digital media performance

good point: router capable, 2 ehts
bad point: same as MII above.

any ideas on how to get X working on one of this boards as fast as
possible would be appreciated.
once i'm sure either X/netbsd works on EPIA N or MII and CL, i buy one to
make the demo.
--
Pierre-Philipp