Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 Dynamically Linked?
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/04/2004 13:39:00
On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 11:55:40AM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 02:25:21PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
> > No, dynamically linked binaries are loaded (much) slower than statically
> > linked ones, since symbol resolution is usually taking quite a lot of time.
>
> Wasn't there something about a sort of preresolving of shared library
> symbols in the binary, so symbol resolution would be fast until the
> shared library changed? Care to teach me what that was all about?

prebind(1) as written by Bang Jun-Young. I've tested it successfully, yet it
used to burn quite some hd space for its own cache. Honestly I haven't heard
anything more about it after the latest successful tests, was wondering also
where it went :)

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2002/12/01/0005.html + search
the mailing lists for "prebind" & "RelCache".

Regards,

-Martin