Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 Dynamically Linked?
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Jeff Flowers <jeff@jeffreyf.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/03/2004 14:11:49
> I don't think so: (shooting from the hip) if essentially those
> programs all use libc, libc is basically always going to be in
> memory, so you won't have to load it :) So, I don't know about
> speed, I would guess faster. My recollection was that linking
> everything dynamically makes internationalisation cheaper - you
> don't need all the translations in all the static objects, just
> dynamically load the relevant translation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

Thank you Patrick. When I last read about dymanic linking NetBSD the next
version of NetBSD was to be version 1.7.

I have to admit that it had not occured to me that dynamic linking might
improve internationalization. I was thinking of it from a security
perspective, where fixing a library would automatically fix all the binaries
that depended on it.

--
Jeff Flowers