Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 Dynamically Linked?
To: Jeff Flowers <jeff@jeffreyf.net>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/03/2004 17:55:10
On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 09:26:45AM -0400, Jeff Flowers wrote:
> I was looking through the changes from NetBSD 1.6 to 2.0 (very impressive,
> by the way) but one thing I didn't notice was any mention of the operating
> system being dynamically linked or of the creation of a /rescue directory
> for emergencies. Is this still going to happen with 2.0?

They have existed in -current for a long time now, so will be in 2.0.

> If this change is in NetBSD 2.0, can anyone tell me how this has effected
> NetBSD, good or bad? I have not yet had a chance to try NetBSD 2.0 but, for
> example, I would think that a dynamically linked NetBSD system would be
> smaller but perhaps a tad bit slower. Would this be a correct assumption?

I don't think so: (shooting from the hip) if essentially those
programs all use libc, libc is basically always going to be in
memory, so you won't have to load it :) So, I don't know about
speed, I would guess faster. My recollection was that linking
everything dynamically makes internationalisation cheaper - you
don't need all the translations in all the static objects, just
dynamically load the relevant translation.

Cheers,

Patrick