Subject: /etc/master.passwd entry inconsistent
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: grifo <grifo3000@interfree.it>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/03/2004 11:45:58
hi all,
i am experience a little trouble with my NetBSD system: after
updated to 2.0F i've probably committed a mistake while
etcupdating the /etc folder and now it is not possible to
change users information neither with passwd, usermod,
useradd nor by editing directly /etc/master.passwd.

e.g. while trying to change root passwd (that now is empty):
# passwd
Changing local password for root.
New password:
Retype new password:
passwd: /etc/master.passwd: entry inconsistent
passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged

permissions are ok:
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  957 Jun  2 20:43 /etc/master.passwd

but that makes me think is the presence of the /etc/passwd file,
that i installed with my last world update...

any suggestions for solving this trouble will be appreciated.
happy day
g.