Subject: Re: system lock ups, maybe out of memory
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/01/2004 16:55:44
On Jun 1, 2004, at 4:14 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Now, I see gcc's cc1plus is doing:
>
>   PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE   RES STATE      TIME   WCPU    CPU
> COMMAND
>  1279 reed      64    0   111M   76M RUN        3:23 57.91% 57.91%
> cc1plus
>
> and sometimes "biowait" state. I am surpised on the amount of memory
> gcc
> needs.
>
> And I dislike how my system is sometimes so sluggish :)

Your system only seems to have 128 MB of RAM, which means gcc is
swapping.  That being said, it's unusual for the compiler to want more
than 10 or maybe 20 MB of RAM for most things, so perhaps there is
something else going on as well.

> top tells me:
>
> load averages:  1.93,  1.69,  1.24
> 13:11:07
> 55 processes:  1 runnable, 53 sleeping, 1 on processor
> CPU states: 98.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.5% system,  0.5% interrupt,
> 1.0% idle
> Memory: 51M Act, 35M Inact, 212K Wired, 5532K Exec, 20M File, 18M Free
> Swap: 193M Total, 166M Used, 27M Free

You're using 90% of your swap space; you will see X11 and other
programs fail ungracefully when you run out of VM.  Allocate more swap
space at the minimum, and consider getting more RAM: that ought to help
your situation out greatly.

--
-Chuck