Subject: Re: treo 600 as a usb modem (uvisor interfering?)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/22/2004 22:04:46
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:

> In message <87n041qd90.fsf@thelonious.dyndns.org>, Russell McManus writes:
>>Anyway, I also want to use the Treo as a modem over USB.  I think that
>>this should be possible using the umodem driver.  But I think that
>>since uvisor0 is binding to ucom0, umodem never gets a chance.
>
> Nope.  "uvisor0" is the right device.  When the uvisor is correctly
> configured, it will provide a com port.  All a umodem driver would do is
> provide a com port - but the Treo isn't a USB modem.
>
> A secondary issue is that, for no reason anyone has been able to decipher,
> not all Treo 600 units use the same USB protocol.  Some will work only if
> the entry in uvisor.c says "PALM4"; others will work only if it says "VISOR".
> I submitted a patch to make it retry with the other protocol, but I don't
> think it ever went anywhere.
>
> Note also that at least some Treo 600 units CANNOT be used reliably as USB
> modems, because of a chipset error that causes the USB hardware on the Treo
> to wedge.  "PdaNet" has a workaround for this, but the client side is windows
> only (and yes, they really do need a client end program).  "WirelessModem"
> works, but... Only with IR, for me.  USB crashes, and I've never gotten the
> serial port adapter to work with it at all.

I see that you have already wrestled this alligator to the ground, and
as a result have saved me hours of fruitless fiddling.  Thank you,
thank you, thank you.

I guess I should declare defeat, buy a copy of WirelessModem, and
resign myself to using it as a modem only over IR.  It's cool that you
can do this at all with NetBSD.

Am I right about the #*83843733 shenanigans?  If you use T-mobile,
care to share your chat script?

-russ