Subject: treo 600 as a usb modem (uvisor interfering?)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/22/2004 00:47:39
My treo 600 syncs beautifully with my freshly upgraded 2.0 i386 NetBSD
laptop over USB.  Very cool.

Anyway, I also want to use the Treo as a modem over USB.  I think that
this should be possible using the umodem driver.  But I think that
since uvisor0 is binding to ucom0, umodem never gets a chance.

Here is the symptom of what is not working (from /var/log/messages):

May 21 16:27:28 mingus /netbsd: uvisor0 at uhub0 port 1
May 21 16:27:28 mingus /netbsd:
May 21 16:27:28 mingus /netbsd: uvisor0: Palm, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.00/1.00
, addr 2
May 21 16:27:36 mingus pppd[571]: pppd 2.4.1 started by russe, uid 0
May 21 16:27:36 mingus pppd[571]: Failed to open /dev/ttyU0: Device not configur
ed
May 21 16:27:36 mingus pppd[571]: Exit.

Is my understanding of the problem correct?  Perhaps I need uvisor to
sync, and umodem to run pppd, and you can't have two different drivers
binding to the same dodad at different times.  Or something.

Anyway, to save future poor slobs from googling for hours, to put the
treo 600 into tethered mode, when using a GSM provider, do a soft
reset, then dial this number: #*83843733

Yes, really.

-russ