Subject: Re: OT: reducing gif
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Staffan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thom=E9n?= <duck@multi.fi>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/19/2004 11:52:46
--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

[ Original text by Richard Rauch indented ]
> On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 08:31:23PM -0400, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> > On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 05:58:17PM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > > I am not familiar with gifresize, but I vaguely recall seeing some old
> > > references to GIF software removing the LZW compression, due to Unisys
> > > patent claims.  That may be what you are seeing.  What were the
> > > dimensions of the image after resizing?  (If you multiply the width
> > > times the height, do you get anything close to the size of 24570 byte
> > > filesize you wound up with?  (^&)
> > >=20
> > > There are lots of better formats that GIF:
> > >=20
> > >  IFF: Made GIF obsolete before GIF was even created.  (^&  Not
> > >       widely used, and does not compress as well.
> >=20
> > Specifically, IFF ILBM format. "InterLeaved BitMap"
>=20
> Touche'.  (^&  Yes.
>=20
>=20
> > There are other IFF formats that aren't pictures. (In case anyone
> > gets confused on a google search). There was even an IFF patch format
> > for binaries (updates to SAS/C on the Amiga used this, for example).

And there also are file formats that don't fit in this category.. Alias (a.=
k.a
Alias|Wavefront n.k.a (again) Alias) have something they call IFF too, which
is a multiple channel high-resolution but no compression (AFAIK) format.

IFF for the amiga was, again as my selective memory tells, merely a contain=
er
format for ILBM images, animations and even sounds?

Another point that popped up.. it would stand to reason that this gif was
intended to web-use, in which several of the mentioned formats aren't too
practical ;-)

enough rambling for now... :-)

--=20
Staffan Thom=E9n
     GPG key: 1024D/7C7E2EF8
 Fingerprint: ADB3 455F 10D5 86D1 78D6  048D 11BB D66E 7C7E 2EF8

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5--