Subject: Re: How to upgrade a package that other packages depend on?
To: Dave Camp <dave@thinbits.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/05/2004 20:18:00
On Wed, 5 May 2004, Dave Camp wrote:

> On NetBSD 1.6, what is the correct way to go about upgrading a package
> (building from source) that other packages depend on?

> 'make install' correctly tells me I need to do a 'pkg_delete' and a
> 'make reinstall' to upgrade. However pkg-delete then tells me that
> bind9 depends on openssl, so it can't be safely deleted. Obviously I
> don't want to hose my bind setup...
>
> What is the correct (and hopefully least painful) way to solve problems
> like this? I've looked through the online docs and I can't seem to find
> a good answer for this...

One idea that I often use:

You might be able to pkg_delete -f the openssl package and hope that
bind9's running named still works. (Any tools needing ssl won't work
temporarily.) Then hurry and install the openssl (that was already built).

Hopefully, the old bind9 install will work with the newer openssl. I think
it will.

Be sure to have a package of your old openssl package just in case you
need to revert to it. (Use pkg_tarup if needed.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/