Subject: How to upgrade a package that other packages depend on?
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Camp <dave@thinbits.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 05/05/2004 17:27:56
On NetBSD 1.6, what is the correct way to go about upgrading a package
(building from source) that other packages depend on?

For example, I'm getting warnings about vulnerabilities in
openssl-0.9.6l, so I want to upgrade it to openssl-0.9.6m (or whatever
is the latest version).

'make install' correctly tells me I need to do a 'pkg_delete' and a
'make reinstall' to upgrade. However pkg-delete then tells me that
bind9 depends on openssl, so it can't be safely deleted. Obviously I
don't want to hose my bind setup...

What is the correct (and hopefully least painful) way to solve problems
like this? I've looked through the online docs and I can't seem to find
a good answer for this...

Thanks,
Dave