Subject: vmware3 with windows 2000 guest
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/31/2004 11:44:47
I am running current from early February on i386, and have installed
the vmware3 package (and suse stuff, and vmware-module3).

I was able to boot the vm (at 32M) off a netbsd install iso image
file, install netbsd, reboot, dhclient, and scp a dmesg file to
another machine.  So this mostly works.

I made a /tmp in /emul/linux to avoid the ram file being in /, which
isn't that big.  vmware3 doesn't seem to respect TMPDIR or the
tmpDirectory config file statement.

I can't boot my old win2k image (plain disk: mbr in file, and most in
/dev/rwd0j) under vmware3.  It starts to boot and then hangs, and
sometimes I get a 'guest has disabled the cpu' message.

With guest set to 64M, and ulimit -d turned up to 512M, I was able to
partly install win2k from an install cd.  With guest set to 128M, I
get a vmware panic that looks like a dereference of a null pointer
that could have been obtained from malloc.

I turned off sound and usb in the config - I am only trying to do
simple stuff with windows.

I was unable to get to the BIOS setup screen.

Is anyone successfully using win2k or xp under vmware3 on netbsd?

--

        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>