Subject: help needed on xf86cfg on dell laptop on 1.6.2 i386
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: John Refling <refling@stanfordalumni.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/29/2004 01:41:30
I have a Dell inspiron 1100 laptop which uses the intel 82845GL
graphics chip.  I had first used snapshot version 1.6ze which I think
had the xfree stuff in it.  If not I used the xfree from 1.6.1.

Anyway, after a while of using command line only, I decided to
try X.  I ran xf86cfg and to my suprise it worked immediatly, using the
full screen.  (These laptops run in approx 1/2 screen mode in text/dos, e=
tc). =

Even windows XP will not run in full screen mode until some
special driver from intel is loaded.

It was working great, with mozilla firebird, etc.

Well, I should have left well enough alone!

Upgraded to the latest 1.6.2 release and tried to run xf86cfg and
it only will use about 1/2 the real estate of the screen and also
fails with seg faults often.  So does the server itself.

Seems to be no way to expand the screen to its real size.  Certainly
does not autodetect the full size like it used to in earlier versions.

Did a rm -rf /usr/X11R6 and got the version 4.4.0 xfree, did a make
World && make install.

Now xf86cfg does not seg fault, but I just cannot get the window to
use the full size of the display, which should be 1024x768.  I am
not well versed in configuring XFree since it just worked perfectly
last time (the config file from that time does not help in this
version), and have looked at the XFree site and didn't find much.

Also, it mentions about /dev/agpgart not configured and the XF docs
mention that it is required on NetBSD.  I tried MAKEDEV agp which
worked but doesn't get rid of the messages.

Finally, in the small display that does come up, it seems that there
is always one text line that has a few of its characters slightly =

defective, ie, missing pixels.  This changes as the screen scrolls.
This did not occur in the last version!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

   =