Subject: Re: openoffice
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.org>
From: J. Clifford Dyer <jcd@sdf.lonestar.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/28/2004 09:08:28
On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 09:48:03PM -0500, J. Clifford Dyer wrote regarding Re: openoffice:

> I've been trying to install OpenOffice as well (openoffice-linux for NetBSD 1.6.2), and I'm having a slightly different problem with the setup script.  I set the SOFFICE variable (to ~/.openoffice, but I get the same result with the default).  I run soffice, and I get a message that the setup script is running.  It stops after three or four seconds with a message that the file ~/.openoffice/soffice was not found.  A quick check shows that the directory was not created.  The package was a precompiled binary from the packages iso for i386.  I have installed the suse-linux compatability binary package as well.  Do I need to enable that somehow?
>
> Cheers,
> Cliff

Yikes!  Never mind that last question.  My problem was a stupid one: I was trying to install it from a console window.  I didn't have X running.

However, now I'm having trouble in that NOTHING gets found in the "Registering Components" phase of the install.  I don't have a JRE selected either, but that shouldn't hurt, should it?  When I check afterwards, it looks like the files it is looking for are present in the $SOFFICE/program directory, and they have permissions 444.  Any clues?  Do I need to point to these files somehow?  (An environment variable, maybe?)

Gracias,
Cliff