Subject: Re: starting mysqld @ boot [1.6.2 stable] MySQL
To: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/27/2004 12:11:50
On March 27, 2004 12:04 pm, James K. Lowden wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, "Mark Thomas" <mark@theswamp.org> wrote:
> > WARNING: $mysqld is not set properly - see rc.conf(5).
>
> I have to admit, the message is both precise and baffling.  Ther first
> time I saw it, I didn't immediately understand that "$mysqld is not set
> properly" meant I  needed "mysqld=YES" in rc.conf.
>
> I'm not sure how to make the message clearer.  I do know one can spend a
> long time reading the rc.conf man page without seeing how it relates to
> the message.
>
> Perhaps:
>
> 	$variable is set to ''.  Set "variable=YES" in rc.conf, cf. rc.conf(5).

I don't think that that's correct.  It is possible for rc.d scripts to exist
without actually wanting to have them start anything.  The actual message you
want to send is;

 - WARNING: $mysqld is not set properly
 - Set "mysqld=NO" in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
 - To start this package at startup set "mysqld=YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/